Friday August 31, 2007
Allen Johnson. Patriarchy. Pg. 91-98
• We are apart of a society that participates in patriarchy, but does not really examine its consequences and their effects. Pg.92
• Our participation in patriarchy shapes our lives, but because of this it also gives us an opportunity to change how we live. Pg. 93
• When a society is oppressive and individuals have grown and lived with this view all their lives those people will tend to accept the behavior and see it as "normal" because they know no different.
• Patriarchy culture's core is the male control and dominance in all aspects of human life.
• Many times we are involved in empowering patriarchy even when we are not aware of it, for example being silent when hearing a sexist joke. Implied-- In order for change, we must realized this and do something about it. Pg. 96
• We have the freedom to change how we participate in patriarchy and not be involved in the oppressive system, so take the right path and choose to not empower the system. Pg.98
Tuesday, September 25, 2007