Search our blogs!

Friday, May 21, 2010

Kathy's feedback on Pam's blog: Even cell phones have a gender

Pam,

I think you picked a great product to demonstrate how companies market to specific genders. I never realized that the Razor was marketed this way (and I used to have one!).

I think you did a great job in defining what you were trying to show, and proving it step by step. I also thought your first quote fit in perfectly with the point you were making.

One of the things that I think you could have stressed more to make your argument stronger is that Motorola is selling virtually the same product to both men and women, but concentrate their advertising efforts in two completely different spectrums (one for men and one for women). The Razor itself is not made for a man or woman, but it becomes gendered when the color, design, and advertising are implemented. You point this out in your first sentence, but I would have liked to have seen more from this point of view. Also, I didn't think your explanation necessarily matched the quote you used in the third paragraph. I think you should have focused more on how women must "want to embody" beauty and that men must "want to possess women who embody it", and how Motorola advertises in a way that shows having a Razor would help achieve that image.

Overall, I thought you did a nice job with this assignment!

No comments: