Chapter 14: “Who(se) Am I? The Identity and Image of Women in Hip-Hop Media
• There is a specific identity of women in hip-hop in which they are objectified.
• Women who are artists have to break through this identity to become seen as more independent.
• Hip-hop artists
• Girls to be aware of this objectification
• Boys to see this unrealistic ideal of women
• Record companies
• Analyzed the recent trend of objectifying and subjugating black women in hip-hop music videos and their potentially damaging social impact
• Analyzed feminist recording artists response.